Women philanthropists are the change-makers and community-shapers of the world. We are compassionate and committed women at every stage of life and career, of all ages, backgrounds and interests. We have a place for you to be involved and make a difference.
Inspired and guided by our tradition of tzedakah (righteousness/charity) and tikkun olam (repairing the world) Women's Philanthropy engages women in the fulfilling work of making the world a better place. We make a personal commitment to build, support and enrich Jewish lives everywhere and work to create a vibrant Jewish future.
WHAT WE DO
Women’s Philanthropy is about knowing and understanding deeply the breadth of issues facing our community and rolling up our sleeves to help. It’s about educating, inspiring, and empowering women of all ages in our community. It’s about nurturing leadership, connecting with like-minded women and fostering a commitment to philanthropy. It’s about having an impact.
We raise funds for crucial programs, plan for our community's future, and help women develop into tomorrow's leaders.
Through our donations and our hands-on community service, we help bring dignity to people in need, fight domestic violence, provide shelter to vulnerable children, protect at-risk seniors and so much more. We support Israel and world Jewry with our dollars and our presence.
Our collective philanthropy enriches our own lives while improving the lives of others. There’s so much happening in our community. Discover it now!
Federation inspires and empowers women to become leaders and decision-makers. We offer many ways to lead:
- Our Women’s Philanthropy Board is composed of a diverse group of devoted leaders who have committed their time and energy to advancing our mission and purpose
- The Women’s Philanthropy Leadership Series is for those interested in furthering their Federation education and exposure as well as their leadership skills in a cohort of like-minded women
- Various leadership training and development opportunities
LEARN & ENGAGE
Connect with like-minded women through fun, social and educational engagement opportunities:
- Attend a Women’s Philanthropy event (visit the community calendar for upcoming programs)
- Participate in the Women’s Philanthropy Learning Series (minimum giving level of $1,000+ to the annual campaign)
Hand-on philanthropy allows us to mobilize and make an impact:
- Empower low-income women and girls through The Dignity Project by donating personal care items (pads, tampons, liners, shampoo, soap detergent etc) to be distributed through local community agencies
- Volunteer at Federation supported community agencies (add link to volunteer opportunities)
- Participate in Impact Journeys, food drives, celebrations and more (visit community calendar for up to date events)
Learn, Engage and Volunteer
Connect with like-minded women through fun, social and educational engagement and volunteer opportunities.
The Dignity Project's mission is to:
- Educate women about the difficult choices low-income women and girls face due to financial hurdles when purchasing feminine hygiene products.
- Empower women and girls by collecting donated personal care items (pads, tampons, liners, deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, soap, and detergent) to be distributed through our community agencies.
- Further engage women in the Federation’s mission by highlighting our agencies’ work and mobilizing to meet a need in our community.
Since its inception, the community response has been remarkable. Our Federation has collected over 58,000 individual items via our Amazon wish list and curbside/contactless drop-off locations at seven private homes throughout Broward County. Sun-Sentinel shared additional details about the initiative with the community.
We saw our efforts come to fruition, with deliveries to five Broward agencies: The Dorit & Ben J. Genet Cupboard, Craig's Pantry, WECARE Food Pantry, Hebrew Academy Community School and PACE Center for Girls.
As our community’s need continues to grow due to the pandemic, these products will alleviate a burden for hundreds of recipients. They will allow the agencies to offer more without absorbing additional costs. “It was very moving to see the shelves stocked with products and hear about the impact these items will have on recipients,” added Andie Temkin Gerszuny, Director, Women's Philanthropy.
“We express our deepest gratitude to the over 200 individuals who contributed to this initiative, the agencies, committee members, and representatives who made this project flourish,” exclaims Rosita Beer, Chair, Women’s Philanthropy.
The Dignity Project will continue its initiative throughout the year. If you would like to participate or start your own collection, please contact Andie Temkin Gerszuny, Director of Women’s Philanthropy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Leadership Series: We have two robust women’s leadership curriculum series.
The Women’s Philanthropy Leadership Series is for those interested in furthering their Federation education and exposure as well as their leadership skills in a cohort of like-minded women.
Our newly launched Yesod: Jewish Women’s Leadership Series 2.0 offers leaders insights into personal and organizational leadership through a Jewish perspective.
This exciting program which is offered nationally was developed by the Florence Melton School of Adult Jewish Learning and written by well-known Dr. Erica Brown. A cohort is nominated to participate in this curriculum, and the program merges Jewish text study, business skills, leadership theory, and experiential application.
Participate in the Jewish Women’s Learning Series (minimum giving level of $1,000+ to the annual campaign)
Our Jewish Women’s Learning Series meets monthly over the course of 6 months. We are currently exploring the Jewish spiritual practice of Mussar, which is a virtues based approach to Jewish Ethics and character development. Each session focuses on a different virtue (Middah). Throughout the series, women engage and connect with each other on a deeper level through small group and group discussions surrounding Jewish text specific to each virtue.