For the dough:
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon dry yeast
1/2 cup sugar
teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
1 cup cocoa powder
1 packet vanilla instant pudding
1 1/2 sticks butter or Crisco- room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
For the sugar syrup:
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
- Combine all the dough ingredients in a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook or in a bowl and mix with your hands for at least 10 minutes.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover with saran wrap and set aside to rise for 30 minutes.
- Mix all of the chocolate filling ingredients together to spread over the dough or use the prepared filling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Shape the rugelach:
- Divide the dough into 4 and form each into a ball
- Roll each ball into a square.
- Spread the dough with the chocolate filling and fold in half
- Roll out the filled and folded dough until thin.
- Cut into triangles.
- Roll each triangle up from the widest part into a crescent.
- Place on a baking pan lined with parchment paper
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes depending on the size of rugelach until golden brown.
- While the rugelach are baking, bring the sugar syrup ingredients to a boil in a small pot.
- Once boiling, lower the heat and continue cooking the syrup for ten more minutes.
- As the rugelach come out of the oven, use a pastry brush to brush the hot sugar syrup over each one.